Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Photo Dump 1.0

One of my goals for my 20th year is to take more pictures! So here are a few of the past month or so (some from before my birthday, but whatever).

1. My first attempt at a wardrobe photo, taken in my super bright downstairs bathroom. I have a full length mirror in my bedroom but it's tilted at a weird angle and I haven't figured out how to take a good picture of myself in it yet. Nor have I ever really sucessfully used my camera timer... I should probably try that out. And have my mom ship me my tripod. So yeah. Better wardrobe photos to come in the future, hopefully.

Glasses: Nicole Miller
Shirt: Forever 21
Wrist warmers: handmade by me
Circle scarf: handmade by the beautiful ABB
Rings: green amber on right hand, from Conway, Arkansas; amber on left hand, from Saturday Market here in Portland; sterling silver knot ring on left hand, from a vendor at a street fair in Winchester, MA
Camera: Nikon D40

2. I made this cake from Shutterbean's recipe here: www.shutterbean.com/orange-walnut-cake . It's frickin' delicious. The ground up walnuts give it an amazing buttery flavor. I highly recommend it!
Tablecloth: from the Bins (Goodwill Outlet center!!) here in PDX. 
Vase: Brown Shugga (Laguinitas, I think?) beer bottle

3. This is my best friend Robert. He's been having a rough couple of weeks and has been shutting me out, and I really miss him (it's spring break so he's home in Alabama this week) sooo I thought I'd post this one just for fun. It's from October, a couple weeks after his birthday. 

4. I made myself a birthday cake this year. It was loosely based on Martha Stewart's caramel cake and frosting recipe (which can be found on her website somewhere) and used a caramel syrup to flavor the cake and brown butter for the frosting. It was soo delicious, but my cake pans suck and no matter how much I lube 'em up, I usually wreck the structure of the cake when trying to get it out of the pan. This time was no different  except that the cake TOTALLY crumbled. I ended up re-molding the top layer using two glass containers, and the cake kind of looked like a beehive/turd once frosted, but it didn't matter. I had about ten friends over the night of my birthday and we absolutely destroyed the cake in less than eight minutes. 


5. This is the track around the sports fields at my school. Yeah, we're real big on athletics *snort*. This section runs parallel to SE Steele St. and it's the route I take to my boyfriend's house. I was on my way up there for a sushi dinner the day after my birthday, before my birthday party. I thought the lighting and the blue of the sky was incredibly beautiful. 

6. OM NOM NOM SUSHI. One of Nick's housemates works at a sushi restaurant when she's home back east and made us the dankest sushi I've ever had. I requested the Philly roll, which is on the right of the platter. Nick requested the 'My Angel' which is the one covered in goo in the back left of the platter. I also rediscovered my love for wasabi this night. I want to buy wasabi powder and just eat plain rice with wasabi and soy sauce. The sake was also wicked dope. 

7. More sushi  night. These animal plates were leftover from Laura's birthday party. The buffalo is my favorite. 

8. My good friend Talia brought me candied bacon for my birthday. It was delicious but mysteriously disappeared during my party. 

9. Talia and Clara are the farm managers at our school and they bought me a bonsai tree for my birthday! I got so many gifts that day. Clara and Ingrid also made me the most amazing "20 things to do when you're 20" mobile that I will have to share a picture of at some point. But anyway, this bonsai rocks. There are little mermaids in it! And yes, this picture was taken on my bed, but it's the only surface that gets sunlight in the afternoon. The tree has since been moved to a space on my window sill. 

10. Finally, I made this dope-ass cake for my friends who had midterms. I can't tell you why, but I had pretty much no work the last two weeks of the quarter. I do have a shit ton to do in the next couple weeks after spring break though, so I guess it's a fair trade. This cake was a chocolate cake from scratch (recipe involves coffee and lemon juice and is so yummy), with the leftover caramel syrup from my bday cake drizzled on, then a crumb layer of vanilla buttercream frosting, and then the top layer of leftover browned butter caramel frosting from my birthday cake. It sat in the fridge for a day before I served it so the glaze and frosting set really well and the cake retained its moisture. 

So there ya have it, folks. My first photo post! More later. 

SMC

No comments:

Post a Comment